Thursday 8 December 2011

Victor Makhubela




This is the short story of Victor Makhubela.

I was still working as an intern at Beeld's Pretoria office when I was sent out to a job in town. I rolled up to the address and got out the car and looked up and saw Victor sitting against  the wall. I immediately realised that he was blind and that this would make a interesting photrograph, and then my eye caught the writing on the wall which read "see movies for (whatever price) everyday". I really found this ironic that this blind man was sitting under the writing and  decided to go and talk to him as soon as I finished the job I was supposed to do.

After my job I returned to where the man was sitting. I walked up to him and introduced myself and told him what I did and that I would like to photograph him. He said yeah sure its no problem. After I photographed him I went back to him and chatted with him for about 10 minutes and asked him about his life.

He then told me that he was blind since the age of 5 and that he travels to town everyday to play his music and make money for his family. The only day he doesn't make the trip is on Sundays because that is the day he goes to church. 

No comments:

Post a Comment