Wednesday 25 July 2012

Day 2 of Alledged Sunday Rapist trail

 Steyn smiling at the camera after he asked me if he can get R1 for every photo I take of him and I replied that it would be a shit load of money.



 Jessica Du Toit lying on her mothers shoulder in the trial.







 Shireen De Waal stares at Steyn after she shouted at him in court. She shouted "Jaco Steyn! I want him to look at me, he murdered my daughter."



Ok and my favourite shot, worked better for me in colour.

My own remarks

The trail is a very difficult one photo wise because Steyn only has one expression and the only real expressions he shows is when he talks to his lawyer. So I try to work with it.

Its also a very emotional trial with the De Waal family being present and my heart goes out to them in this difficult time. I really try to keep my distance when photographing them as I don't want to intrude. It makes it difficult because my job as a photojournalist is to record the trail proceedings by means of photographs even if it means photographing emotional situations. Many people may judge us because of this, but its our job, unfortunately, or so we feel sometimes. Each one of us (news photographers) deals with these emotions of pain and extreme sorrow we see on regular basis in their own way. These emotions don't just disappear because we stand behind a camera most of us takes the pain, of all the other people we encounter, to bed with us each night.



Stay tuned for day 3's pics, will be posted tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I know him since we were children. We grew up together. My heart breaks for his mother. She lost her son. His actions are bizarre and so out of character with the person we knew. I wish I could bring Louise back. I wish I could turn back time and undo everything he did. My head is extremely angry at him and my heart remembers my friend.

    ReplyDelete